University of Groningen, Faculty of Philosophy
Oct 21, 2015 → Nov 30, 2015
The Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers-teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in The Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy; Theoretical Philosophy; and Ethics, and Social and Political Philosophy.
The Faculty has made a strategic choice to strengthen its research through the development of a Master’s programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and a concomitant Centre for Philosophy, Politics and Economics that will stimulate and facilitate interdisciplinary research at the interface of philosophy, political theory and economics.
The Faculty of Philosophy seeks to appoint an excellent scholar with effect from 1 March 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful applicant will be appointed in the Faculty, and will play a major role in shaping the Centre and the Master’s programme. He/she is expected to have expertise fitting the interdisciplinary environment of the Faculty and the Centre. The ability to relate political theory to adjacent disciplines in philosophy and social science is highly valued.
Applicants should have:
• PhD (or equivalent) in philosophy, political theory, or economics, relevant to a PPE programme
• a strong publication record in political theory, broadly construed, and/or on the intersection of philosophy, politics and economics, as reflected in peer-reviewed international publications
• a clear view of future grant proposals
• a vision of how to contribute to interdisciplinary research in the Faculty and in the Centre for Philosophy, Politics and Economics
• intellectual drive, enthusiasm and open-mindedness to collaborate with colleagues within philosophy and economics and other disciplines
• record of successful, innovative and conscientious teaching, stimulating students at all levels and from various backgrounds, and vision how to contribute to the master’s programme in PPE
• record of international collaboration
• willingness to acquire working knowledge of Dutch for managerial and administrative purposes (within three years after appointment).
Salary and conditions are depending on education and experience and will be in accordance with appointment at assistant professor level (Universitair docent ) or associate professor. The salary will range between € 3.357 and € 6.222 gross per month for a fulltime appointment (salary scales Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). The salary will be supplemented by a holiday allowance of 8% per year and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
The post is full time, and will be permanent after a probationary period. In line with the tenure track policy of the Faculty, this period will be for a minimum of 2 years and for a maximum of 6 years, depending on the appointment (assistant or associate professor) and on condition of a positive evaluation of teaching and research. At the start of the appointment conditions of promotion to higher ranks later on will be established.
The starting date is 1 March 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter.
For information about what the application should include see “Further Particulars”: Groningen
Queries about the post should be addressed to Frank Hindriks. All enquiries will be treated strictly confidentially, and play no role in the selection procedure.
You may apply for this position until 29 November / before 30 November 2015, 23.59 h. Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
For information you can contact: Frank Hindriks, +31 50 3637489, or Hindriks
(please do not use for applications)