International Development Ethics Association (IDEA) 10th International conference
Feb 06, 2014 → Aug 01, 2014
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
10th International Conference and 30th Anniversary of the International Development Ethics Association
Development Ethics Contributions for a Socially Sustainable Future
San José, Costa Rica, July 21-24, 2014
Organized by The International Development Ethics Association
with Vicerrectoría de Investigación, Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR), Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas, Escuela de Filosofía and Maestría en Desarrollo Sostenible.
PAPER PROPOSALS ARE INVITED TOPICS SUCH AS:
• Rethinking the concept of development: Lessons and limits of development ethics
• Global Inequality and sustainability: Are these the main problems of development?
• Capitalism: what lessons and varieties may lead to socially and environmentally sustainable futures?
• Ethically driven transitions to resilient cities and communities: Lessons from the bottom up
• The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
• Development as Freedom, gender equity, capacity building and deployment
• Development ethics in Latin America
• The ideas of Denis Goulet in the context of current development trends and challenges
• Who drives development?
• Agricultural sustainability, food justice and food sovereignty
• As well as any other theoretical and practical topics within the field of Development Ethics
Papers should examine these issues from diverse theoretical and conceptual perspectives including philosophical argument, empirical analysis, examinations of policy, and action strategies. The conference will engage scholars and practitioners from around the world and from a wide variety of disciplines and activities (including philosophy and other humanities, social sciences, policy studies, development, social work, NGOs, local and global agencies and organizations, government officials and policy makers). IDEA particularly welcomes submissions from scholars and practitioners in the global south.
Plenary speakers will participate in mixed plenary panels. Concurrent panels will include development ethics, political economy of development, and presentations of case studies. A one-day workshop retreat to discuss the ways forward for IDEA and to visit some communities in the countryside is planned. The official languages of the conference will be English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation in Spanish.
PLENARY SPEAKERS INCLUDE: David A. Crocker, Luis Camacho, Adela Cortina, Jay Drydyk, Nigel Dower, Des Gasper, Asuncion Lera St. Clair, Paul B.Thompson and Alejandra Boni.
SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
Proposals in English or Spanish should be submitted no later than April 1, 2014 to congress and should include: 1) An abstract of 500 words suitable for anonymous review; 2) Name, affiliation, and contact information on a separate page; 3) A biography of under 100 words (for the conference program).
For further information and conference updates see: IDEA
*An optional field visit is planned for July 24.